Fox News is reporting that the trucker protests that started in Canada calling for an end of the COVID mandates are now spreading around the world.
Of course, with the emergence of the Omicron variant, which is no worse than the flu, many are asking the obvious questions: Why do people have to take to the streets to call for an end to governments’ COVID mandates?
Fox News reports, that similar to what happened in Canada, Big Tech has stepped in to help the government quell the protest in the US:
“Brase told Fox News Digital that the U.S. trucker effort was “just shy of 140,000 people when Facebook dropped us.” On Feb. 2, Facebook removed a Facebook page called “Convoy to D.C. 2022.” A spokesperson for Facebook’s parent company, Meta, told Fox News that the platform removed the group “for repeatedly violating our policies around QAnon,” which Facebook previously labeled a “violence-inducing conspiracy network.” Brase had disputed that claim, saying, “That’s just not true.”
Fox News reports that the other countries seeing similar protests include:
- Netherlands READ: “Convoy for Freedom” passes through Netherlands in protest of Covid restrictions
- New Zealand READ: Police aware of NZ convoy anti-vaccine mandate protest over Waitangi weekend
- Belgium READ: World Freedom Convoy’ eyes Brussels as destination for massive trucker protest
- Australia READ: Truck drivers, supporters around Australia stage ‘freedom of choice’ protests at councils, major roads
- England and Scotland READ: Scottish ‘Freedom Convoy’ heading for London to support Canadian truckers’ and call for end to Covid rules
The Toronto Star adds that trucker freedom protests are also showing up in Cyprus and Argentina. A truck convoy being organized for Vienna, the capital of Austria, for Feb. 13, 2022, had a commitment of 2,500 vehicles as of Feb 3, 2022.
However, if Canada is any indication these convoys can take on a life of their own, as thousands joined the convoy as it traveled across Canada.