blog, Politics, z206
Leave a Comment

England: Only 388 under 60 COVID deaths had no underlying health issues


According to a report in late December by the National Health Service, only 388 people in England under the age of 60 died solely of COVID, meaning they had NO underlying health conditions. The remainder had underlying health issues that included such things as heart problems, cancer, diabetes and obesity.

By age group, this included:

  • 6 under 20 years-of-age died solely of COVID with no reported underlying health conditions. Total COVID deaths in this age group: 21
  • 44 between 20 and 39 years-of-age died with no underlying health conditions. Total COVID deaths in this age group: 263.
  • 338 between the ages of 40 and 59 years died with no underlying health conditions. Total COVID deaths in this age group: 2,926.
  • At the time of the report, 48,000 people had died with COVID in England with only 1,970 reporting no underlying health conditions.

The Daily Mail explains:

Just 388 people aged under 60 with no underlying health conditions have died of Covid-19 in England’s hospitals since the start of the pandemic, NHS data has showed. 

The figures show that 1,979 previously healthy people died in hospitals in England after testing positive for Covid-19 between April 2 and December 23.

Just 338 of these people were aged 40 to 59, with another 44 aged between 20 and 39, and just six under the age of 19, according to the data.

Meanwhile 45,770 deaths were recorded among those with pre-existing conditions, of which 21 were aged under 20, 263 were between 20 and 39 and 2,926 were aged between 40 and 59.  

READ: 388 people aged under 60 with ‘NO underlying health conditions’ have died of Covid in England’s hospitals

The US Centers for Disease Control similarly reported that only 6% of the COVID deaths in the US had no underlying health conditions. It added that the remaining 94% had an average of 2.6 underlying health issues. READ: CDC: 6% of coronavirus deaths were solely from COVID-19

A growing number of health practitioners around the world have been calling for an end to the lockdowns saying a more targeted approach is needed. Instead of locking down the healthy, the governments should focus their attention on protecting those who are most vulnerable to COVID including the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

This is the main message of The Great Barrington Declaration that reads in part:

As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection. 

Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. […]

Fortunately, our understanding of the virus is growing. We know that vulnerability to death from COVID-19 is more than a thousand-fold higher in the old and infirm than the young. Indeed, for children, COVID-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza. 

READ: The Great Barrington Declaration

To date the declaration has been signed by over 13,000 health scientists and virologists and nearly 40,000 medical practitioners.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.