I read an interesting story by Joshua Rogers of the unusual circumstance that led to him getting engaged to his wife Raquel. Joshua is a believer and a regular contributor on Fox News. He believes in God. He believes in marriage.
This story reveals God’s divine and prophetic intervention that prepared the way for this event.
When Joshua approached his future father-in-law, Charlie, to ask for permission, Joshua said there was initially lots of resistance. Joshua and Raquel had only been going out for three months and this would result in red flags for any parent.
Joshua said the two talked in circles, with Charlie expressing his concerns and Joshua trying to answer them.
And after a conversation that lasted about 90 minutes, Charlie said that he wasn’t really comfortable with Joshua’s plans, not that he was opposed to them getting married, just not right now. Charlie described his resistance as a yellow light.
But in a matter of a few seconds, everything dramatically changed when Charlie asked when Roger was planning to ask Raquel to marry him.
Roger replied that he wanted to surprise Raquel and ask her to marry him on her birthday.
As soon a Joshua said that, his future father-in-law’s voice broke, and immediately said he was now 100% in favor.
Why the dramatic change? It was because God had given Raquel’s mother a vision a year earlier. She had just woken up and had a vision of a small birthday cake with a single candle on it. Someone had slipped an engagement ring over it, and the ring was sitting at the base of the candle.
At the time, they had no idea what that meant, or if it meant anything.
But as soon as Joshua spoke of his birthday plan, Charlie immediately knew, despite his misgivings, that God was in this. God had prepared the way.
Look at how God orchestrated this chain of events:
- Nine months before Joshua even asked Raquel out, God gave Raquel’s mother a strange vision of a birthday cake with an engagement ring at the base of the candle.
- This unusual vision so struck Raquel’s mother, that she actually told her husband, Charlie, about it. This is a crucial step in this process.
- Then a few months later, God somehow makes sure that Raquel catches Charlie’s eye, so he asks her out, and she agrees. Or God already knew Raquel had caught Joshua’s attention, and he just needed the courage or for the circumstance to work out for him to ask her. But God knew.
- The Holy Spirit gives Joshua the idea that he should ask Raquel to marry him on her birthday. Or perhaps God foreknew a year earlier that Joshua would do this.
- Then, the Holy Spirit makes sure this all comes out in the conversation that Joshua has with his future father-in-law Charlie.
This whole thing could have broken down at any one of these stages. This vision is a prophetic act.
And importantly Joel talks about how at the end of the age when God pours His Holy Spirit on people, that God will speak to people through dreams and visions.
But notice how these visions and dreams are intricately connected to prophecy. Dreams and visions happen when the Holy Spirit moves with a spirit of prophecy.
I believe God wants to communicate with his people prophetically, and I believe dreams and visions are one of those ways.
I have no idea if Raquel’s mother is a Christian, but this verse tells us that God will pour His spirit on “ALL FLESH” and this includes those who aren’t Christians.
But I suspect Raquel’s mother is probably a believer and if she is, I would suggest she seek the Lord about the gift of prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:1) as dreams, visions and prophecy are all connected.