Joel was a prophet that God raised up to call Judah to repentance. Most believe his prophecies were delivered sometime between 835 BC and 800 BC.
But in the second chapter, the prophet veers from his message and prophesies about things that will occur leading up to the Day of the Lord or the second coming of Christ. It is like reading a newspaper clipping from 2020 AD.
Plagues of Locusts
First he describes plagues of locusts that he compares to an army leaping over walls (Joel 2:1-11). This plague will ravage the land and overwhelm cities. There will be so many that they will darken the skies and leave behind utter devastation:
Before them fire devours,
behind them a flame blazes.
Before them the land is like the garden of Eden,
behind them, a desert waste—
nothing escapes them. Joel 2:3 NIV
Reports indicate|a massive wave of locusts is building in Africa in April 2020, that could devastate the food supplies of several countries in Africa and the Middle East. The first wave hit in December 2019, but the UN is warning that this second wave could be 20 times larger because of this spring’s unusually wet weather.
The UN also states that because this second wave will probably hit as the beginning of the crop season, it could cause “an unprecedented threat to food security” for 20 million people
According to reports, swarms of juvenile locusts are building in Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Yemen, Oman and Iran. Once mature, these swarms start moving as they seek out new food sources. During this migration, these swarms often merge. Once that happens, they cause devastation as the millions of locusts eat absolutely everything in sight — vegetation, gardens, crops, trees and livestock feed.
In an interview with the Associated Press, Ugandan farmer Aboket said, “Once they land in your garden they do total destruction.”
Columns of Smoke
The second thing the prophet Joel warns about in the second chapter is increased volcanic Activity:
“I will display wonders in the sky and on the earth,
Blood, fire and columns of smoke.
31 “The sun will be turned into darkness
And the moon into blood
Before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. — Joel 2:30-31 NIV
Columns of smoke are the images traditionally associated with volcanoes as they spew ash and smoke miles into the sky. This increased activity will darken the skies and turn the moon blood-red. This suggests there will be multiple eruptions, as confirmed by the plural “columns”.
The British newspaper The Guardian is reporting an inactive volcano in Iceland is coming alive after 800 years of silence. The volcano is located on the Reykjanes peninsula near the country’s capital city Reykjavik.
According to The Guardian, there have been more than 8,000 earthquakes on the peninsula since Jan 21, 2020, that typically indicate increasing lava flows beneath the surface.
This is not the only volcano coming to life.
London’s Express Newspaper reports that Indonesia’s Krakatoa volcano erupted over Easter weekend spewing ash 10 KMS into the sky and the Volcano Discovery website, that tracks volcanic activity, states 24 other volcanoes have recently come to life including:
- Russia’s Klyuchevskaya Sopka and Shiveluch volcanoes recently spewed ash into the sky, four and seven miles respectively.
- Japan’s Aso and Sakarajima are also showing activity.
- Aside from Krakatoa, Indonesia had three other volcanoes coming to life — Ibu, Merapi and Sermu.
- Mexico’s Popocatepetl had a volcanic plume extending 19,000 feet (ca. 6 km) into the sky.
- Volcanoes in several South America countries, including Ecuador, Peru, Chile and Guatemala, are now active.
- Italy’s Stromboli’s explosions are described as “mild to sometimes strong.”
- A volcano is the Antarctic is also showing activity. And of course, many are wondering if the several volcanos found below the Antarctic ice cap are causing ice melt in the region typically blamed on man-made Global warming.
Massive outpouring of the Holy Spirit
But in the midst of all this, towards the end of his chapter, Joel prophesied some good news. Along with this, there would also be a powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit:
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days. (Joel 2:28-29 NIV)
Notice how Joel says that God will pour out His Holy Spirit on all people. This mean everyone, Christians and non Christians alike.
Part of this includes people receiving dreams and visions. For many years, I thought this was only for believers, but Joel clearly states all people will receive them. Over the last several years, there have been multiple reports of Muslims and others receiving dreams and vision leading them to accept Christ.
But I think this is just the start, I believe this prophesied outpouring of the Holy Spirit is still brewing and when the full extent of this outpouring hits, it will result in a massive revival that will sweep the world.
So hold tight, we live in interesting times.
- ‘Waking up’: Volcanic region gets hot after ‘inactive for many centuries’: WND
- Awakening volcanic region in Iceland ‘could cause disruption for centuries’: The Guardian
- Volcano eruption today: Indonesia’s Krakatoa ERUPTS as Iceland volcano threatens to blow: The Express
- Volcanic activity worldwide 10 Apr 2020: Klyuchevskoy volcano, Popocatépetl, Krakatau, Merapi, Seme…: Volcano Discovery
- New wave of locusts threatens millions in Africa, Middle East with food insecurity: CP
- FAO continues to fight Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa and Yemen despite COVID-19 constraints: UN